Skip to content
- Online Writing Lab from Purdue University Producing good content is so much a part of SEO these days, but a lot of us came out of school with writing skills that don’t pass the test. Here’s a good resource for changing that.
- The Hemingway App I love this tool and show it in my workshops. Helps keep your writing clean and precise. I consider myself a pretty good writer and this little app can still find plenty of ways I can improve.
Online SEO and Webmaster Tools
- Another Schema HTML Code Creator This tool is one of several that will help you create the microdata-formatted HTML for your site according to the structured data vocabulary found at schema.org and endorsed by the big 3 engines: Google, Bing, and Yahoo
- Broken Link How-to Article Well laid-out article giving a precise guide on using the technique of finding broken links to build backlinks to your own site. Not just great information, but the author, Russ Jones, gives links to some nifty little tools that I hadn’t encountered befo
- Bulk Domain and Page Authority Check This is a tool to help you use a tool. What would be more appropriate? It’s a way to pull a batch of DA and PA numbers from SEOMoz. Thanks to both Moz and SEO Review Tools for this handy checker.
- Cool content idea tool Create marketing titles with all the true creativity of Madison Avenue. Oh, wait….
- Create a KML Sitemap for Free Fair warning, I haven’t used this yet, but it looks like a great idea.
- Diffchecker Great, simple tool to do a diff on blocks of test that you paste in.
- Find lattitude and longitude for a U.S. Address I kind of like how this tool generates a preview of the satellite view of the location. It’s been useful.
- Free SEO Analysis Report
- GeoPeeker Look at your site from a handleful of Internet points of presence worldwide
- Good list of WordPress Plugins One of my colleagues picked up this list at WordCamp. Good list.
- Google's tool for checking the "mobile friendliness" of a site
- IP Tools
- RagePank (really?) Redirect Check Tool
- Read the Response Headers from a Site
- Schema Creation Tool Neat tool thanks to the folks at Raven that will create HTML code for you that incorporates microdata formating according to the standards at schema.org
- UsabilityHub Cool idea. Please have a look at this tool. It allows you to perform simple tests about usability and earn points. You can then use those points to perform your own usability tests.
- Who is Hosting This Site?
- Why No Padlock SSL Debugging Tool So now everyone is wanting to migrate to https. If you are, this site is a lifesaver.
- 10 Illustrations on Search Engine Valuation of Links
- A Good Collection of Htaccess Snippets If you work in SEO at a technical level you always need to dig into an htaccess; it’s amazing what you can do with it
- Feature Phones, Smart Phones, and SEO Excellent article showing the best way to allow user-agent direction to route your mobile traffic to the appropriate version of your pages. You just need to know that Feature Phones are basically limited phones, as opposed to Smart Phones such as Droid a
- Glossary of SEO Terms This is a pretty complete list; downloadable as a PDF as well
- Good beginner's guide to SEO Key concepts of SEO in a fairly concise fashion. Be prepared to click on a lot of links for background definitions. Lots of resources at page bottom too.
- Google's Intro to How Search Works This is very basic, but I like the presentation. Good for helping to explain to your friends and family.
- Google's Search Update History – And Not from Moz! Everyone in Search (including me) relies on Moz’s history of Google’s updates, and it’s damn useful after all. This is another version but organized differently. Sorry Moz, but I like Fatbit’s better.
- htaccess reference Very good resource page on all things .htaccess from whoishostingthis.com (a tool I use pretty frequently)
- Infographic: What Makes a Perfect Blog Post Nice infographic, but the comments below this infographic are more of interest than the infographic itself.
- Internet Marketing Handbook
- List of 100 Great SEO Blogs (2015) This list purports to be “the top 100” SEO blogs. Although I can’t really vouch for that, and who can tell what’s top and what’s not really, this is nevertheless an awesome list of the industry heavyweights and some unheralded gems.
- Power over Chrome: List of Hidden Chrome URLs Special Chrome settings that you’ll probably never need (but if you do, you’ll be glad for this list)
- SEO Glossary
- Software License Creation This tool helps you to create software licenses in plain English.
- The History of Search Engines This is the longest infographic I think I’ve ever seen, but lots of fascinating and obscure facts on the history of search engines.